Translate

Monday 6 October 2008

Rising Doubts


All the way back to Hogwarts, Mika remained silent. She and Minerva had left the shop of Dawdley and Piddley, the dress promising to be delivered by the end of the week.


“Mika,” Minerva tried to reason with her old friend. “I’m sure there’s a perfectly reasonable explanation. Perhaps your vision is wrong? Or it wasn’t Lupin at the bottom of the tower at all. Maybe it was a vision of things to come years from now, not this week?”


The timelord had to agree that perhaps her friend was right. But this did not make her feel any better. “I’ve had these sort of visions before, Min, and I’ve gotten pretty good at interpreting them. I know what I saw and it wasn’t good. I’m frightened.” She fell silent as they sat in the professor’s office, idly stirring a cup of tea. “And I’m beginning to have doubts,” she finally muttered.


In fact, she had begun to have doubts about agreeing to marry Lupin almost at the very beginning. Of course she loved him, and knew he loved her. But something just did not feel right. Perhaps she was misinterpreting her own feelings. She’d done such things before. She tried to be brave and strong for him, but living with a werewolf that she could not defend herself against scared and worried her. Perhaps she was not right for him after all.


She told all this to Hermione later that evening, as she explained about the dress and the vision.


“I’m sure it’s just pre-wedding jitters,” Hermione tried to reassure her alien friend. “Everyone gets them.”


“Yes, but not everyone sees visions of skulls and betrayal and people dying horribly as they try on their dress,” she retorted.


“You know what I think? I think you should be saying all this to Professor Lupin. He has a right to know how you feel.”


Mika looked almost as horrified as she had when she saw the vision. “Oh no, I couldn’t possibly do that! It would kill him to think I was afraid of him. No, out of the question. I’d rather be ripped apart than see his face if I said such a thing…”


“Well, the wedding’s not for a few days yet. Just put aside your fears and see how things unfold. You can’t know everything that’s going to happen all the time.”


“Wise words from such a small girl,” Mika smiled softly and gave her friend a hug. “You’re probably right. It’s probably nothing.”


***

No comments: