Translate

Sunday 17 July 2005

A Piece of Cake

Mika held her head up high as she strode into the hallowed Council Chamber where the Supreme Council of Timelords on Gallifrey were gathered. They had called a special meeting just to hear her petition. She came to a halt before the central dais.

“Madame Mika,” Chancellor Borusa said, for once abandoning the formality of addressing her by her rather long formal name. “We know why you are here. You seek ‘time off’ from your duties to pursue a private life, is that not right?”

The timelord raised an eyebrow in surprise. Someone had obviously tipped them off, and she had an idea who it was. “Yes, that is correct, Chancellor, your honour. You see, I believe that after nearly 3000 years of uninterrupted service, I deserve… no am entitled to a holiday. Say, three normal life spans. I would settle for two.”

“And why do you believe you are entitled to this ‘time off’?” asked Nirada. Mika knew her of old. She had been kind to her before.

“Well,” Mika said feeling more at ease. This seemed to be going better than she had expected. “If I were employed by any other corporation, I would have certain rights, and I only figure that since I’ve tried to do my best and have given nearly three millennia to your service…” she let her voice trail off. They got the message.

“Very well, Mika,” Chancellor Borusa said, “You may have your ‘holiday’.”

Mika was astounded. “What? Just like that? No trial or third degree interrogation? Just, ‘Ok’?” Her eyes narrowed. She knew something was up.

“Of course. You are not on trial, my dear. This is just an informal gathering of your ‘bosses’ to hear your petition for a break from your duties, which, as I have just said, has been granted.”

“Ah. So. What’s the catch?”

“Catch? Whatever do you mean, Mika dear?” asked Nirada sweetly. Several other of the cardinals giggled. This was most unlike them.

“Yeah, catch. What do I have to do in return?”

Borusa folded his hands neatly in his lap. He smiled. It was most alarming. “Just, as you say, as if you worked for a normal corporation, while on leave you would not have the use of that corporation’s facilities, would you not?”

Mika frowned. “You’re not going to strand me there are you?”

“Of course not,” Nirada spoke up. “You will still have your TARDIS.”

“Just not full usage of the said time capsule,” another cardinal finished.

Mika smiled sarcastically.

“You will have full access to the interior but it shall remain… immobile for the duration of your leave,” Borusa stated.

“And how long will that be?”

“As long as you wish, although we would like you to sort of be ‘on call’ should anything dire arise,” he added.

“We promise that we will only call you in an extreme emergency,” added Cardinal Latavia.

“If that is all, Lady Mika, we shall conclude this meeting.” Borusa smiled again.

They all rose and filed out of the room, each congratulating Mika on her upcoming marriage. Nirada was the last to leave and she walked out with Mika.

“My dear, I wish you all the best with your marriage. I must say that I envy you. He sounds like a wonderful man.”

“H… how do you…”

“How do we now about your Professor Lupin? Well, a certain Professor Dumbledore sent us a really nice message, as well as an invitation.”

Mika looked at her in astonishment. “How… that sneak!” she laughed. “I can only wonder at how he managed to get a message to you.”

Nirada grinned. “Ah, now that would be telling. Good luck, my dear. And may the Guardians protect you and your Lupin.”

Mika smiled and thanked the woman. Now on her own she stood in the corridor outside the Council chambers. She heard footsteps shuffling behind her and turned around.

“Well, well, that didn’t take too long did it?” Runcible grinned.

“You stinker!” she laughed and playfully slugged his arm as he pretended to duck. “You knew about it all along!”

“Well, I’m supposed to be wise aren’t I? I am an old man after all.” He grinned. “Now, about this invitation…”

“Yes? I didn’t even know any had been sent out,” she admitted. Mika took his arm and together they walked slowly down towards the other end of the corridor.

“Well, I doubt that anyone else will show up, but I would very much like to.”

Mika stopped and looked at him. “Really? That would be nice.” Then a thought struck her. “Would you perhaps do me the honour of giving me away at my wedding?” she asked.

Runcible grinned, his eyes twinkling with glee. “I thought you’d never ask!”

No comments: