Translate

Monday 6 June 2005

Goodbyes...

Days passed before Lupin regained some of his old strength and was healthy enough to return to his normal life. Madame Pomfrey had done a wonderful job but his wounds were numerous and serious in spite of the caring attention and healing that Mika had given him. It had been with great sadness that Dumbledore had to inform him that Snape had ‘let it slip’ (probably on purpose) that Lupin was in fact a werewolf and that parents would soon be clamouring for his immediate dismissal. No one wanted their children exposed to such an obvious danger. Lupin had merely sighed. He knew this would happen sooner or later. It always did when he was happiest somewhere. Besides, he was used to it by now. He even felt numb and resigned to his fate when he didn’t see Mika for days after she had rescued him. He just quietly went to his office and began packing his things.

Harry entered his office, a sad, questioning look on his youthful yet harrowed looking face.

“You’ve been sacked!” he exclaimed.

“No, not yet. Though I am sure once the owls start arriving Dumbledore would have no other choice. I’m just saving him the trouble,” Lupin replied, his voice rough and weary. He seemed to have lost all hope of anything better in his life.

“We’ll miss you,” Harry said quietly. “I know I will. It’s all just so unfair.”

Lupin smiled weakly. “I know, Harry. I know. But that’s life. I’m used to it by now.” There was a long pause. “I never meant to harm anyone, Harry. You know that don’t you?”

“I know that, Professor. We all do.”

Another long silence as Lupin waved his wand about, his shabby, old suitcases and trunks packing and closing themselves.

“Where will you go?”

The Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher shrugged. “I don’t know. Perhaps I can find a school out of the way that hasn’t heard of me and my condition.”

“What about Mika?” he asked. At the sound of her name, Lupin visibly winced.

“What about her?” he murmured.

“But you guys were going to get married weren’t you? You still are? Aren’t you?”

“I haven’t seen her since she brought me back here, Harry. I honestly don’t know. I wouldn’t be surprised if she has left for good. I wouldn’t blame her either.” The sadness and defeat were clear in his eyes.

Harry felt sorry for this man who had been his father’s best friend and who he now considered his. He moved closer, wanting to give him a hug, some comfort, anything, but not daring to. “I haven’t seen Mika either,” he said softly. “But I do remember Hermione saying something about her needing to recuperate after your ordeal.”

Lupin looked at Harry. Could he be right? Could it be that Mika was only trying to heal herself? Then another thought occurred to him. Did he harm her in his werewolf state?

“Harry, she wasn’t hurt badly was she?” he gripped the boy by the shoulders and looked into his grey eyes.

“No, sir. I think Hermione said something about her being drained of energy. Then something about her ship. Can’t you remember what happened?” he asked.

Lupin shook his head. “No. I can’t remember much of anything. Only briefly waking up in Mika’s arms and her helping me into a big box of some kind. Then I woke up with Madame Pomfrey fussing over me like I was the King of England or something.”

Harry chuckled as Lupin smiled at the memory. But he was really smiling at the thought that perhaps Mika hadn’t left after all. “Since I am no longer your teacher, I feel no qualms about giving this back to you, Harry.” He turned and pointed his wand at the Marauders’ map lying open on his desk. “Mischief managed,” he said. The map folded itself up and he handed it to Harry. He grinned and tousled the boy’s hair.

Harry watched as Professor Lupin took up his walking stick and made his way slowly down the steps and towards the door. Lupin paused and turned to look at the classroom where, for a few moments at any rate, he felt ‘normal’ for the first time in his life. Sighing, he shook himself from his reverie. Suddenly he felt a presence behind him. His heart pounded in his breast as he could sense who it was.

“Going somewhere, handsome?” a beautifully familiar voice behind him said.

He spun around to see Mika standing in the doorway. She looked more radiant and beautiful than ever. “Mika,” he whispered beneath his breath, afraid that she was just a vision that a breath might dispel forever.

She glided closer to him and threw herself into his arms. He held her close as if afraid to ever let her go again. “You weren’t running out on me were you?” she whispered into his ear. He could feel her breath on his skin, smell her flowery perfume. He thought he’d never experience this magical creature again.

“Of course not. Only I thought…”

“I’m sorry love. I guess I overdid it a bit and had to recuperate myself. The TARDIS is the best place for me. I was afraid I would have to regenerate again. But no matter. I’m here now. You didn’t think I would leave without you did you? We have a wedding to plan!”

Lupin beamed and smothered her with kisses. He had never felt so happy in his life.

Harry couldn’t help but smile. Lupin had suffered tremendously all his life and especially through the last few weeks. It was good to see some happiness come his way.

“Oh, Harry,” Lupin turned from Mika for a moment. “If you hear from Sirius, and knowing him you will, would you please tell him to get in touch with me? I want him to be best man at our wedding.”


Harry grinned and said that he would. He watched as he turned back to Mika and , arms around each other, left the room. He was sure he would see those two many times in the future. Harry just knew it.

No comments: